Monday, April 14, 2014

General Conference is Awesome!

Hellooooo Everyone! 

I hope you all had as wonderful an experience as I did at conference this last week! There were some amazing talks that I needed to hear, some fantastic ones for those we are teachings, and as always, the Spirit taught each person with direct guidance even when the speakers were on a different topic. Boy I sure loved it. The only regret I have is that more people didn't get the chance to see it!  We will be doing our best to remedy that.

Boy, people sure can be funny sometimes. It can be so frustrating to see someone's potential and watch them miss out on a great blessing. This week was great for meeting and teaching people, but every single one of them missed out because they didn't come to conference, didn't read their scriptures, and or didn't pray. Sometimes I just want to grab people by their shirt pockets and bring them within an inch of my face to tell them that I just want them to be happy, and learn how to live happier, and help their family friends neighbors and everyone else they meet be happy! They just don't seem to get it otherwise. It is such an amazing feeling to be able to go into a home, bless it with the Spirit, see a visible relaxing and calming presence come over people and know they are feeling joy in their lives for the first time in who knows how long. At the same time, it is so hard to come back three days later and find the same people not progressing because they don't understand how important being a vessel for the Spirit is. How I wish people could just see the changes I see and feel it so that they no longer slump back into bad habits and old laziness. This Gospel can truly change people, but only if they let it.
This is a outdoor picture of a deer - for my dad
It reminds me of a story I love from Preach My Gospel somewhere. It says that missionaries can only bring information to peoples' minds, but the Spirit can bring it to peoples' hearts. What they learn from us can, and likely will, be forgotten. However, if they allow the Spirit into their hearts, exercising their agency to actually open the doors to their hearts and invite in the Spirit waiting just outside, they can never forget. I have not yet met a member, no matter how less active, who joined the church for the right reasons, not for a girl or other reason, but truly because they learned it was true, who had forgotten the feelings in their hearts. Do each of us have such a feeling? I know I certainly do. I am a convert to the church, though I was born into family active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I have begun my conversion through the Spirit and the witness it has born, of the feelings it has allowed me to experience as I have invited it into my heart, and I hope to continue to build my conversion throughout my life. If any of you have experienced the same, I invite you to recall those feelings and allow them to fill you with warmth and joy. If you have not as of yet experienced the beginnings of conversion, I invite you to act. The Lord loves each of us and wants us to feel joy. If you do not know this, read the scriptures, listen to conference, and most of all pray. You will feel it.  I promise.


I love you all very much!

Elder Beckstead

No comments:

Post a Comment